Copenhagen, Denmark. March 12, 2009
End section of a statement by Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen at the closing of the Copenhagen Climate Convention.
“A global agreement in Copenhegen, is not just about tackling climate change. It will constitute a new era in multilateral relations. It will be a unique occasion to construct a global solution based on mutual responsibility to act and to assist. People demand action.
Goverment must realize that it is in their interest to act. Government will fall if they fail. Politics must not be in the way of necessary solutions. The world needs better goverment.
So in conclusion, let me repeat the key messages:
- Urgency. We must come to an agreement here in Copenhagen in December.
- Direction. We must set a long term target.
- Action. We must commit to short term efforts.
- Fairness. The rich must assist the poor.
- Opportunity. Green growth is the future.
- Governance. If we fail to act, we fall.